IPL 2017 – 10 Interesting Facts That You Need to Know
The buzz about IPL (Indian Premier League) has been immense all over the globe and every time audiences wait for the April month to arrive, as it starts in the first of week of April every year. Talking about the auction of this year, 140 cricketers including 44 overseas player have been retained by the IPL franchises for 2017 season. All the teams had limited resources but they played safe according to their strategies and filled their required slots. Like every other season, even this season is all set to surprise everybody. So, let’s talk about some amazing facts that you all need to know.
Jump to a Heading
- 1 1. Inclusion of two Afghan and one UAE Player in IPL
- 2 2. Dhoni removed as Rising Pune Supergiants’s captain
- 3 3. Ishant Sharma and Irfan Pathan remained unsold
- 4 4. Ben Stokes has become the most expensive overseas player in IPL
- 5 5. Sarfaraz Khan was only 10 years old when IPL began
- 6 6. Piyush Chawla’s bowling accuracy in IPL
- 7 7. Parthiv Patel has been part of 6 different IPL teams
- 8 8. Ashok Dinda the bad luck of IPL
- 9 9. The inseparable duo of IPL
- 10 10. Delhi Daredevils is yet to play an IPL final
1. Inclusion of two Afghan and one UAE Player in IPL
Two amazing Afghan players Mohammad Nabi and Rashid Khan and UAE player Chirag Suri will make their debut in this season of Indian Premier League. This is happening for the first time in the history of IPL. They have played some exceptional cricket for their country, now, it will be interesting to see how they perform under the immense pressure of the League where many other overseas player will be competing with them for a fixed slot in the team.
2. Dhoni removed as Rising Pune Supergiants’s captain
Yes! It’s true and saddening for the Mahi fans. Dhoni has already dropped Indian captaincy from all formats of the game, and this time he won’t be leading for the franchise Rising Pune Supergiants in the League. He is set to replaced by the young Australian captain Steve Smith who is world no. 1 Test batsman. According to the reports, the owner said, “we wanted a new captain, as we didn’t have good season last year and hoping for the best in the upcoming season”.
3. Ishant Sharma and Irfan Pathan remained unsold
The two notable player Irfan Pathan and Ishant Sharma went unsold in the 2017 IPL Auction. They were part of the Rising Pune Supergiants franchise in the previous season. The buyers had the limited resources and at the end lack of buyers for these two players astonished many people.
4. Ben Stokes has become the most expensive overseas player in IPL
England player Ben Stokes is a fantastic all-round player and has become the most expensive foreign player in IPL history. He stunned one and all by getting a Rs 14.5 crore bid from Rising Pune Supergiants franchise.
5. Sarfaraz Khan was only 10 years old when IPL began
When the first season of IPL began, Sarfaraz khan was 10 years old and then after 7 years, at the age of 17 he was picked for IPL by the Royal Challengers Bangalore franchise. Along with the big guys like Virat Kohli, Chris Gayle, ABD, Shane Watson, he also played good cricket in the last season and impressed the whole country. Even this year, he is playing for the same franchise, it will be interesting to see how much he has learned from the big guys and from the overall experience of the League to play even greater cricket.
6. Piyush Chawla’s bowling accuracy in IPL
In the last season, Piyush Chawla’s bowled his first no-ball after bowling almost 386 overs in his IPL career. He is also the 4th highest wicket taker till now, with 113 IPL wickets. This stats shows the accuracy level of the bowler which has impressed and surprised every one around the globe.
7. Parthiv Patel has been part of 6 different IPL teams
Parthiv Patel has surprised everyone with a unique record of playing for six different franchise in six different seasons. After his whirlwind journey, he seems to have settled down with Mumbai Indians franchise.
8. Ashok Dinda the bad luck of IPL
This can be a sheer co-incidence, but can also be perceived in other way after looking at the stats, which shows that for whomsoever Ashok Dinda has played for, has never managed to qualify for the play-offs till now, starting from the first season. Surprising, isn’t it?
9. The inseparable duo of IPL
Robin Uthappa and Manish Pandey both have played for 4 different IPL teams and surprisingly they both have been always in the same team every season.
10. Delhi Daredevils is yet to play an IPL final
This is quite sad for the Delhi owners, as their team is the only team that has never qualified for the finale match. It is not that they have a weak team though it’s really very saddening and surprising for the DD fans to witness their team’s failure each and every time. Let’s see, the stats might change this year.